Bring Home Energy Scores to your Jurisdiction
The Bay Area pilot is now a statewide program!
Since 2018, BayREN, a collaboration of the nine Bay Area counties and the Association of Bay Area Governments, has been leading the Home Energy Score program for the Bay Area. Recently, BayREN has been approved by the California Public Utilities Commission to launch a statewide Home Energy Score program beginning in 2026.
Now is the time to provide your input on what you want Home Energy Score California to offer. We invite you to one of our online government listening sessions to discuss:
- Marketing and outreach efforts
- Potential incentive levels
- Workforce training opportunities
- And how this program can help meet local climate action goals.
Register now for one of our upcoming listening sessions:
- Thursday, August 17 at 9-10am
- Wednesday, September 6 at 9-10am
- Wednesday, September 6 at 12-1pm
- Wednesday, September 6 at 4-5pm
Contact Emily Alvarez (email@example.com) with questions.
"Now that I know my Home Energy Score, I understand how to make my home more comfortable, save money, and reduce my carbon footprint."
- Jeffrey L, Burlingame
What is the Home Energy Score?
The Home Energy Score (HES) is a rating system developed by the US Department of Energy which provides a standardized rating of a home’s energy efficiency. The report includes the home’s score ranging from 1 to 10, an estimate of energy usage and utility bills, and custom recommendations to increase your home’s energy efficiency.
Trained assesors analyze the home's heating and cooling systems, water heating, insulation, duct sealing, and more, to create a report that enables a standardized comparison across different geography, and provides homeowners, buyers, and renters credible information about a home’s energy assets.
The Home Energy Score California program will:
- Train energy assessors that will serve your community, and ensure strong quality control.
- Deliver the program and customize recommendations for home improvements based on the score.
- Provide rebates for residents to receive a HES and connect them to resources to make energy efficiency upgrades.
Benefits for Local Governments
- Aligns with your Climate Action Plan goals
- Helps community members save money on their energy bills
- Provides consumers with transparent, comparable energy efficiency information
- Choose how much you want to customize and promote the HES program in your jurisdiction – Home Energy Score California will provide marketing materials and do the rest!
HES and Other Local Policies:
- HES can align with policies related to energy audits or disclosure in your Climate Action Plan
- Voluntary programs help homeowners understand their home’s energy assets and how to make improvements
- If desired, a jurisdiction may layer on a mandatory HES requirement. Examples of these policies can be found in Berkeley, CA, Piedmont, CA, Portland, OR, Austin, TX, Minneapolis, MN, and more.